On Sunday January 1st, instead of gathering as a singular group of people on our Pleasant Valley campus, we want you to gather as smaller spiritual families in your homes on New Year’s Day and participate in a conversation about the year to come with whoever you call family. Why?
In January 2023, we’re going into a Sunday series called “If Only…”, where we explore the power of regret, and how looking backwards can actually help us move forward. We would love it if you came into that January series with some personal work done ahead of time, so that you can get the most out of this powerful set of topics. Making a New Year’s resolution for yourself is one really great next step to bring into our “If Only…” series. So instead of coming in for our 9:30am Sunday Gathering, please gather with those closest to you, and participate as a faith community in a more personal way following these instructions.
Here’s what to do
1. Take a few minutes to ask each other what went well, and what didn’t go so well, in 2022.
2. After that time reflecting together, come up with a New Year’s resolution that reflects the kind of changes you want to make moving forward into 2023, and share with each other. Write it down somewhere so that you can keep reflecting on it, especially through the month of January as we tackle the power of regret.
3. Read Philippians 3:12-14 together and discuss the following questions:
- What does this scripture reveal about who God is?
- What does this scripture reveal about humanity, or you personally?
- What do you feel like you’re supposed to act on to live out the truth of this scripture?
- What “I Will” can you make to be obedient to this truth in the coming week? Also, share with each other who you can share what you’re learning with.
4. We at Shoal Creek would also love to know what your resolutions are, and you can share your New Year’s resolution with us completely anonymously by filling out this form. If you would take just a minute to fill out this form, we would love to have your feedback so that we can help measure the potential impact of our upcoming “If Only…” series.
5. Lastly, we encourage you to check out the World Regret Survey, and take it here. It’s another completely anonymous survey, with hundreds of thousands of participants. Once you complete the survey, you’ll have access to all of the anonymously submitted responses. Plus, you’ll be able to check out more from Daniel Pink, the author of “The Power of Regret”, the work that inspired our upcoming series.
Why do all of this? Because it connects us with the humanity that exists between us and others.
We all want to make changes. We all want to experience positive transformation. We all want to be better versions of ourselves. But how will we get there if we don’t do the work of reflection? How can we be encouraged if we don’t share our longings for change with others?
God is working to turn you into a masterpiece. But there’s work to do. Get a jumpstart on the change you want to see in 2023 by taking some time to put direction to your inner longings.
We look forward to seeing you again, after the New Year, in-person on Sunday January 8th, at 9:30am on our Pleasant Valley campus.